Thursday, June 28, 2012

Baingan ka bharta (Begun Podha)


I have always been allergic to brinjals (Baingan). But the Baingan Bharta (Begun Podha) that my mom prepared especially during the chilly winters in Kolkata was my hot favorite.  I never bothered about the itching on my lips while having this special dish.
Yesterday my husband brought home a big brinjal along with other vegetables. Looking at it the only thing that came to my mind was my Mother’s special dish. Though I didn’t have much time to prepare this exactly the way my mom used to, I created a short cut and recreated this dish.


Ingredients
A big/medium sized brinjal
1 large onion-chopped
2 or 3 cloves of garlic-chopped
1 small slice of ginger- chopped
1 or 2 green chillies-chopped
1 small bunch of coriander leaves- finely chopped
Salt to taste
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp coriander powder
A pinch of sugar
4 tbsps mustard oil

Method 
  • Wash the brinjal and make 4 transverse cuts on it without cutting it completely into pieces.
  • Rub small amount of mustard oil all over the brinjal and keep it on high flame for sometime. (This will help in burning of the outer skin.


  • Now, keep the brinjal in a pressure cooker add some water, close the lid and keep it on high flame.
  • Wait till 1 whistle and then take out the brinjals.
  • Remove the stem and mash the flesh properly.
  • Heat the remaining mustard oil in a mall Kadhai. Throw in the chopped chillies, ginger, garlic and onions.
  • Cook them till golden brown on high flame.
  • Now add, salt, a pinch of sugar, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Cook all the contents well till the oil starts separating.
  • Now add the mashed brinjal and mix well. Cover and cook on low flame for 2 seconds.
  • Finally add the fresh coriander leaves and cook for 1 more minute.
  • Remove from the flame and serve with hot chapattis.


Wasn't it easy...?
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment