Sunday, June 30, 2013

Crab Curry – Malvani Style



 

Crabs Crabs Crabs… I have always seen Crabs only in the fish market… My mom never made Crabs at home however, my elder sister has been very fond of Crabs.
Soon after my marriage we shifted to Mumbai, and Crabs became a common sight in the fish market. Ever since, my husband has been asking me to prepare this dish at home but I always found out a way of not bringing this home. Today, while buying fish, I don’t know what happened to me; I went ahead and bought few crabs.
So now, I had the crabs but didn’t know what to do with them. And then my search for the suitable recipe began. So finally I bumped into this Malvani Style chicken Recipe and used the same to prepare my crabs after making few changes here and there. Sharing the same here:


Ingredients
Crabs, of course…
1 large onion
5-6 cloves of garlic
1 medium piece of ginger
Green chilies (depending upon your spice quotient)
Coconut (7-8 medium sized pieces)
1 medium tomato (roughly chopped)
Turmeric powder
Cumin powder
Coriander powder
Red chili powder
Sugar
Salt to taste
Garam masala powder
Ghee (optional)
Mustard oil for cooking

Method
For the Malvani masala: Grind the onion, garlic, ginger, green chilies and coconut together to a fine paste.
  • Cut the crab into pieces of suitable size. Spread some salt and turmeric powder on it and rub well.
Marinated Crabs
  • Pour some oil in a kadhai. Add crabs to the hot oil and fry them one by one till they turn into a bright red colour.
 
  • Remove from kadhai and keep it aside.
  • Sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar to the hot oil followed by the Malvani masala. Stir well on a high flame for 2 minutes.
  • Now add rest of the spices (Salt, turmeric, coriander, cumin and red chili powder), chopped tomatoes and cook on a high flame till the oil starts separating from it.
  • Add the fried crabs and mix well with the masala. Pour some water (adjust the quantity as per your preference for gravy). Bring it to boil and then simmer for a couple of minutes more.
  • Sprinkle a teaspoon of garam masala powder and spread a generous amount of ghee (optional) before removing from the flame.
  
 Serve with rotis or steaming hot rice.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment